Challenge One Description
This year's theme is Star Wars!
"The Empire has found our base! As we speak, the Death Star is making it's way around the gas giant to destroy Yavin 4! Thanks to efforts of others, we've found a weakness in the Death Star. A small thermal exhaust port exists, and firing into it has the potential of destroying Death Star. Now you must attack the Death Star, and navigate through the trench leading up to the exhaust port. Avoid any enemies you may encounter, and once you are in range, fire your torpedoes! May the Force be with you."
- The challenge area will be a corridor that is 3 feet wide and 12 feet long.
- The challenge area will have a wall on three sides, every side except the wall behind where the robot begins. This wall will be at minimum 3.5 inches tall.
- The robot will begin at the centre of one end the challenge area, and will have to navigate to the opposite end.
- Once at the opposite end, the robot will have to launch a small styrofoam ball between the two goal posts. (This will represent launching a proton torpedo into the exhaust port.)
- In between the two ends will be a series of obstacles:
- 10 Objects representing Turrets and TIE-Fighters will be placed at indeterminate points around the play area.
- Objects will be surrounded by a black area which will be 6 inches in radius.
- These black areas will be circles, with the Object in the centre of this circle.
- Black areas will be surrounded by a further grey buffer/warning zone, that will be 6 inches wide all around the black area.
- There will be start and end zones of open space, where no Objects will be placed.
- Completing the goal of launching the styrofoam ball through the goal posts will award 5 points. Each Object not knocked over will award 1 point.
- For an Object to be consider "not knocked over," the robot will have to have completely passed the Object (all parts of the robot past the Object's horizontal position.) Points to this effect will be counted based on the robot's position when the run ends.
- Teams will be ranked by total points and ties will be decided by time taken.
Sample competition area.