Challenge One Description
Congratulations! You have been selected to participate in this year’s Tri-Wizard tournament!
Your first challenge is to steal a golden egg out from under the noses of three sleeping dragons. In preparation for this daring stunt, your good friend Hermione has drawn out a narrow path from start to finish, where the dragons will not be able to smell or hear you! Stray from the path and you are sure to be burned, follow it closely, and you will be richly rewarded.
Return safely to the starting line with the egg to bring glory to your school!
- Follow the path closely, to the golden egg. leaving the path will end the run and your final score will be your score at the moment of leaving the path.
- A robot is considered to be on the path if the line is between the outer edges of both the left and right rear tires.
- Your robot’s next goal is to take and hold the golden egg.
- The golden egg will be a 3 inch (diameter) styrofoam ball.
- With the golden egg secured, follow the second path back to the starting position.
- The challenge area will be 6 feet wide by 6 feet long. Enclosed by a 3 inch tall wooden frame.
- The robot will begin in a set starting position, placed facing the path, by the judges. The starting position and direction will be the same for all competitors
- The path will be marked by a 2 inch wide black line against a white surface.
- Checkpoints will be marked along the path in very light grey lines perpendicular to the path. The robot does not need to take notice of these lines, they are only for the judges to score.
- The number of checkpoints will only be revealed when the track is revealed on the day of the competition.
- The path will never cross itself.
- The path will be continuous, (the robot will not need to turn around and traverse the same path back) it will lead to the egg, and back.
- A medium grey line will indicate the robot has reached the egg’s location, it will sit 2 inches ahead of the grey line on the path.
- The path will stay at least 4 inches away from the walls at all times.
- Passing a checkpoint will be worth 3 points each. (The entire robot must pass the checkpoint line to be gain the 3 points)
- Returning safely to the starting position WITHOUT the egg is worth 5 points
- Returning safely with the egg to the starting position WITH the egg is worth 10 points.
- Any ties in points will be resolved by the time of the particular runs.
- Teams must only use parts from their one base lego mindstorms kit
- Teams must have their bluetooth turned off on their brick.
- Robots must be within 1 ft by 1ft by 1ft in size.
- A run will end once a robot successfully reaches the starting position after traversing the path, or it leaves the path. This time will
Sample competition area.